I have a feeling that this will turn into a 3 post project. The weather wasn't cooperating much lately, so it has taken me a while to get the second step underway.
After I cut the plexiglass (see the results here). I spray painted the outdoor lantern-style light with Krylon Outdoor Copper spray paint. I finished this product at dusk, so it was hard to get a good shot of the new color. But, here's a sort of before and an extreme close-up after:
In the continuation of my quest to add light to our dismal yard, at the end of the summer last year, I picked up 20 of these lights for a song (well, actually for about a buck each). They are cheap brown plastic, but I knew that they would add a lot of much needed light to our yard.
I wasn't wild about the brown plastic look, so I gave them a quick coat of the same outdoor copper spray paint that I used on the lantern-esque light fixtures. I covered the solar panels with Frog Tape brand painter's tape and gave each light a quick coat of spray paint. Here is my little light army drying after being painted:
Two very light coats later, I am just thrilled with the results. Once the weather starts cooperating, I will get them in the ground and I will post pictures of these lights in place.