Friday, May 27, 2011

Shelving Unit

I am so proud of my husband!  He finished this beautiful shelving unit for our living room.  I am just thrilled with how it looks. 

And, here's how he did it:

The piece was designed to specifically fit into a little nook by our (never-used) front door.  He used pine to build it.  The bottom portion is a drawer and one of the spaces was left larger than the others so we could fit a small lamp there.  Here's Matt making some last minute adjustments to the shelves before we started prepping the shelf for paint:

After it was built, Matt filled in all of the screw holes and edges in with wood filler.  When the wood filler was dry, we sanded it down for a nice, smooth surface. 

After sanding and wiping the entire unit with a tack cloth to make sure there was no lingering sawdust to muck up our paint.  We primed the shelf (propped up on old paint cans):


After a coat of primer, we lightly sanded and tack cloth'ed the entire piece again before applying two coats of Sherwin Williams' Pure White in a semi-gloss finish.  It haven't really decorated it yet.  But I stole some picture frames from other spots around the living room just to see how it'll look. 

I love how it looks.  And I love it even more because it was built by my husband's own two hands.  This weekend, I'm planning to style it a little more with a lamp and some books.  Once it's all done, I'll take another picture to share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great piece! It is very interesting looking, yet wonderfully simple! Great job! Hubby is a keeper! :-)