Friday, April 01, 2011

Doormat

I'm all about personalizing everyday decor items.  And when I can do it with spray paint, watch out!  I first saw this project on Gorgeous Shiny Things.  She got the idea from Martha

I already had the mat.  I already had the spray paint.  I already had the painters tape.  And what's better than a quick project that you do not have to do any shopping for?


I printed out our address in Word.  So easy!  I used Rockwell Extra Bold font in size 630.  Yes, 630.  That's not a typo.  I cut out the numbers and taped my new stencil to the center of the mat.  Using painter's tape, I taped a border on my mat.  I just made it up as I went and used a straight-edged ruler to keep the tape nice and even.  Here it is all taped up and ready for paint:

I used Rustoleum's Camoflage spray paint in Deep Forest Green.  It's a little darker than my inspiration, but my original mat was darker than Martha's.  A few coats of spray paint and a coat of spray laquer later and here is the finished product:

Try to ignore those smudged-looking spots, those are just my hallway casting weird shadows.  I'll try and get a better picture in the daylight this weekend.

3 comments:

MrsJCH said...

super adorable!

Danika Herrick said...

Looks terrific! I have yet to get to this one, but I'm so glad it was easy.
Thanks for the link!

serendipity berries said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. :-)